Friday, July 20, 2012

What to do with all those eggs?

As I mentioned before I get my eggs delivered straight to my front door each week. A dozen a week anyone tried to each/use a dozen eggs in one week? Well unless you are someone who eats an egg sandwich every day it is tough, trust me I cook a lot and some weeks I still have eggs leftover, fresh eggs of course. I came up with the recipe below and after many variations this is the one the hubby likes the best. I make 5-6 of these wraps every Sunday and Wahla my eggs are nearly down to a manageable amount and my hubby has breakfast every morning. If I can find avocado on sale or I have extra lying around I throw it into the mix below…I pick the onion and peppers up at the local farmers market.
The Local Yocal Breakfast Wrap
Makes 5-6 wraps

6 – 10” Jalapeno Cheddar Wraps or 10” wrap variety of your choice

6 – farm fresh organic eggs (from a local farm)

1/2C. – 1% organic hormone and antibitotic free milk (also from a local farmer)

½  red pepper diced

½  onion diced

½  green pepper diced

1.5 C. hot salsa

1 C. shredded Cheddar

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1-2 tablespoon EVOO for cooking

1. In a large skillet drizzle the EVOO into the skillet and over medium high heat sauté the onion, red and green peppers until onion is translucent.

2. While the onion and pepper mixture is cooking whisk the eggs, milk and cayenne pepper together.

3. Once the onions and pepper mixture is cooked add the egg mixture to the pan, scramble the eggs with the onion and pepper mixture, continue cooking until the eggs are no longer runny and then add the salsa.

4. Continue cooking mixture until majority of the liquid is absorbed about 3-5 minutes and remove from heat.

5. Lay wrap out on a flat surface, drop ~1c. of the egg mixture on one edge of the wrap, sprinkle with cheese and roll up. Repeat until egg mixture is gone.

Kid tested - TOOOOO hot for the little one maybe I should come up with a mild variation.

No comments: