Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thanksgiving dinner in one dish

In the wake of my returning to work in 2 weeks; I am trying to find quick homemade meals that my family likes specifically my 5 yr old. She loves Shepard's Pie! Finding something the 5 yr old likes is key, it makes the few hours in the evening we have together as a family so much better. Dinner is a more pleasant experience if she likes whats being served.

I mixed up the way I make Shepard's Pie and this was a huge hit.

Thanksgiving in a Bowl - Shep Pie

1-1.5lbs ground turkey
1 can 15 oz cream corn
1 can 10.5 oz turkey gravy
1 tsp. season salt
1 box of 3 cheese mashed potatoes (you can make your own mashed but these are yummy and much quicker) 2 pouches come in a box prep both. I have tried many brands and Betty Crocker is the tastiest and the consitancy is closer to homemade.
1 can 15 oz of Cranberry Sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large skillet saute ground turkey until no longer pink add the season salt and the gravy continue to cook until bubbling, then transfer to a 2 Quart casserole dish.
3. Prepare mashed potatoes according to the directions on the box and set aside.
4. Top the turkey with the cream corn then layer the prepared mashed potatoes on top of the corn covering completely.
5. Bake for 30minutes at 350
6. Before serving drop a few tablespoons of cranberry on top, serve with the extra cranberry on the side.

This is a classic dish that I have mixed up quite a bit some variations include:

ground beef with beef gravy, mixed vegi's and garlic mashed
ground beef, cream corn, plain mashed - the classic version my mom made
ground beef with beef gravy, mushrooms, peas and plain mashed
ground turkey with turkey gravy, cream corn, mashed sweet potatoes

Next variation will be with ground chicken and.....

Mix it up all varieties seem to be winners in my house.

On a finally note, dont be afraid of the dreaded boxed mashed potatoes formerly known in my house as "fake" mashed potatoes. I used to obsess with making my own mashed potatoes for Shepard's Pie I am OVER that, it takes too long and makes a huge mess! I have now found that the boxed varieties can actually make the dish tastier. I have tried many varieties and Betty Crockers are the best in my opinion and come in so many fun flavors.

Eat & Enjoy!!!

No comments: