Thursday, November 17, 2011

I am now a proud member of a food Co-Op

Last week, I found a lovely little food Co-Op in Willamantic, CT and I became a member
today.  It is the cutest little place and they sell lots and lots of local foods and all the organic foods you could wish for!  Today I did 80% of my grocery shopping there the only downfall was they do not sell meats... If they did it would be one stop shopping for me.

Check them out

http://willimanticfood.coop/

On to a new recipe

Memere's Stuffed Peppers

Although she never ever gave me this recipe ( I never asked) I remember her making them when I was a kid and this is my guess at what was in them...

4 large green peppers
1/2 a medium onion diced
2 tbs. butter

1lbs. ground beef
1 can condensed tomato soup
2 c. cooked white or brown rice

1 1/2 c. Mozzarella blend cheese ( I used Cabot 1/2 skim mozzarella and 1/2 cheddar)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1- 8oz can of tomato sauce
1/4 c. water



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the top of the peppers off  and clean out and wash.
3. Dice the onion and add to a skillet with the butter and saute for 3 minutes, add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, drain.
4.  In large bowl combine the ground beef and onion, soup, rice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and 1c. of the cheese (reserve a 1/2c. to top the peppers).
5. Place peppers in a shallow baking dish and pour a 1/4 c. of water into the bottom of the dish. Stuff the peppers with the above mixture (I can usually generously stuff 4 peppers with this mixture).
6. Spoon the sauce evenly over the top of the peppers and top with the remaining cheese (divide evenly over the 4 peppers).
7. Bake 45 minutes at 350 (this will yield a crisper pepper if you prefer a softer pepper cover with foil and increase the water by 1/4 c.)

This is a great way to used up leftover rice, I always seem to have leftover rice...

I take terrible pictures but here is one of the peppers before they go into the oven

No comments: